2.07.2008

Back From the Dead

So, remind me why I bothered getting a flu shot back in November…

I have been out sick for the past 2 days. And when I say out, I mean OUT. I’ve been essentially removed from life for 48 hours. My most pressing concerns have been trying to regulate my erratic body temperature and preventing my head from exploding.

Monday evening I constructed a cocoon on my couch and left only for the most basic necessities (like putting in the next Sex & the City DVD). Tuesday night Daniel breached my self-imposed quarantine to bring me chicken noodle soup and throat lozenges (bless his little heart), but other than that, I had no contact with the outside world. None. No television (except Sex & the City re-runs), no radio, no internet, and if I happened to hear my phone ring through my germ-encrusted fog, I let it ring. Fuck it, my throat hurts, my neck hurts, my head hurts, my hair hurts…

Tuesday night as I dragged myself to bed after Daniel left, I vaguely heard and registered the low rumblings of thunderstorms outside my window before slipping into unconsciousness.

Wednesday, as my illness dragged on, I noticed glumly through one squinty eye that it was bright and sunny outside. Dammit – there’s nothing worse than being sick when it’s gorgeous outside. Eventually I motivated myself to check my phone messages (c’mon you can do it…just a few more feet to grab your phone and then you can go back to your cocoon…promise). My phone’s mailbox was filled with a handful of panicked texts and voicemails from concerned friends and family members regarding the tornadoes. Tornadoes?! What tornadoes? Surely I was not so delirious in my fevered stupor that I missed freakin’ tornadoes!

Yup. I missed ‘em alright. Or rather, they missed me. Apparently the weather channels showed severe tornado activity in west Nashville that night (where I happen to live), but fortunately my cocoon (and all of Nashville) was spared from the destructive twisters as I snored my way through my drug-induced coma.

It’s Thursday now and this plague has swept through the ranks at my office, leaving the majority of us completely drained and only slightly productive. I suspect this is what comes from working late every night and weekends for weeks on end. Either that or the flu shots they gave us were nothing but sugar water!

6 comments:

Alison said...

Glad you are feeling better and have not landed in Oz. Tornadoes in February is just crazy.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you survived both your illness and the crazy weather.

Also, when you get sick, you don't fool around. I still remember when you had the flu or whatever your senior year, and Sara had us all worried you were going to die in your sleep because you wouldn't go to the Health Center.

Anonymous said...

LMAO...die in your sleep cause you wouldn't go to the health center LMFAO...That's so funny!!!! I can just picture you in your germ cocoon all crusty in a painful old lady voice "no, no health clinic". LOL. Hope you're feeling better just the same.

Anonymous said...

Why is everyone from my fav show SEAQUEST leaving me?!

http://omg.yahoo.com/roy-scheider-of-jaws-fame-passes-away/news/6442

Anonymous said...

how come u didn't tell your mother? course she probably would have said, drink, drink, drink !! so happy you are feeling better. is this tornado season?

Anonymous said...

I know this is old--I just got on Cathryn's blog site this week, but I have to add to Joanna's comment--Oh My God. Cathryn seriously passed out on the floor of our dorm room and STILL refused to let me get medical help for her. It was absolutely in a 'painful old lady voice' that she said "no health clinic." I spent the night awake, listening to make sure she was still breathing. So, glad to know (belatedly) that you are ok!