6.28.2010

A Little Funny

So, I was just on Facebook reading all of my "friend's" and actual friend's updates and someone commented on a research article about texting and driving and I totally remembered that I forgot to tell you this funny thing.

It's not really funny in a big picture sort of way, but it was hilarious at the time.

Okay, so last week we were stopped in traffic at a red light. Pretty heavy traffic, not much movement even when we weren't stopped at a light. Three lanes - two going straight, one turning. We're patiently waiting, chatting...the turning lane gets the green light and the guy beside us (in the other NON-turning lane) steps on the gas and plows into the SUV in front of him!

He was texting while at the red light and caught the forward movement of the cars going in the turning lane, I'm assuming in his peripheral vision, and just WENT. Ohmygod! He hit that SUV hard enough to crumple his hood. Smoke was pouring out! And the light is still red and we're all still just sitting there, him in his smoking, now crumpled and undriveable car. Hee. Obviously nobody was hurt. The SUV didn't even have a scratch on it.

The guy's pride was hurt probably more than anything. And it was so damn surreal it was funny.

A huge pet peeve of mine is people talking and texting on their cell phones while driving. I suppose stopped at a traffic light is a little different, although clearly that too can cause traffic problems if you're really engrossed in a conversation.

I swear, everytime some driver is doing something dangerous or inconsiderate, they are almost ALWAYS on the phone. So annoying.

6 comments:

mom said...

I think that's hilarious. I would love to have seen the face of the driver who was texting. It's very hard for me to believe, except in very rare cases, the phone calls and text messages are so vital that they can't wait for awhile.

donna said...

I always want to yell at drivers texting. The other day dad drove me to my house and there was this younger girl driving in the lane next to my side of the car. Something looked "off". She was so close to her steering wheel I didn't know how she was driving; her chest was practically on the horn and her seat was all the way up, shoulders and head hunched. I thought something was wrong. Apparently this is the best position to stick your elbows in your steering wheel to drive your car so you can also text with both hands at the same time. What an idiot!

cathryn said...

I know mom! I see SO many people on their phones on my way into work in the morning and I can't imagine who on earth they could be taling to at 7 o'clock in the morning!?

cathryn said...

Donna - Ha! Indeed, what an idiot! Thanks for posting that article link on Facebook to remind me of this little episode :)

P.S. Also saw the recent pics of Zoe. SO adorable.

Mars Girl said...

I'm trying to stop!! I just get bored at traffic lights and cant help but check FB and my email since the Blackberry is right there....

cathryn said...

I'm so technologically unskilled, I don't think it would even be possible for me to check my email OR FB in the amount of time it takes for a light to turn from red to green! :)