3.19.2007

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Yep. Attended a Bachelorette Party Saturday night. Kimberly's Bachelorette Party. We all met at her house out in Mt. Julio (Mt. Juliet, actually...I'm not sure exactly why my friends refer to it as Mt. Julio, but they do). It's your stereotypical 30-minutes-outside-of-Nashville hick town. Totally out in the middle of nowhere, and of course I got lost because, let's face it, I get lost no matter where I'm trying to go - it's the burden of my people.

Aaaaaaanyway, I finally made it to Kimberly's and only an hour late (yay me). It was sort of a weird assemblage of guests culled from Mt. Julio neighbors, co-workers, and friends of friend ("friend" being Jen - Kimberly's maid-of-honor). Besides the bride-to-be, I only knew the two friends of the friend. The plan was to eat cake and jello shots and open gifts while awaiting the limo to pick us up and take us downtown. So we ate Better-Than-Sex Cake...no, really, that's what it's called...although, I gotta say, it didn't live up to its title, and black cherry jello shots made with 10% jello and 90% rum. That'll do ya!

So, after the cake and introductions and stuff, the three of us friends of friend start getting ready to go out on the drunken downtown tour. Okay, I have to digress for a moment at this point because sometimes I forget that I now live in the Bible Belt. It's easy to forget because Nashville is surprisingly diverse and quite progressive - educated and liberal minded people abound. But as soon as you step outside of the city limits it's a whole other story as I was starkly reminded by this overheard comment:

"Homosexuality is wrong and I'm sorry, but if you think you're a homosexual, then you just need to confess your sins and move on"

Huh!? Yeah. I was very tempted to get into it with this moronic woman who went on to explain how every time her and her husband decide to have a child she gets pregnant immediately - "it's like God just wants us to have children" - but for Kimberly's sake I restrained myself. Fortunately, said moronic woman was not joining us in the downtown drunken extravaganza - after all, who would take care of her beloved children? - certainly not the beloved husband.

So the limo pulls up, we promptly stock it with every imaginable alcoholic beverage, turn up the music and act like silly teenagers - it was great. Of course, it being St. Patty's Day, we arrived downtown to throngs of people and long lines everywhere. However, and I did not know this, but when one has a limo driver, the driver will go plead with the bouncer to let his group of silly drunk women into the club without waiting in line. Yep. Worked like a charm. Another perk of being part of a bachelorette party is that people are very willing to buy group shots to congratulate the bride-to-be. By the time we pulled up outisde of The Tin Roof at 1am we were all drunkity drunk! Kimberly had a list of To-Do's which we all giggled over at the beginning of the evening. By 3am, she had crossed off nearly every one including table dancing, and the removal of undergarments...

I don't think one should need to be getting married in order to have a bachelorette party. It should be enough just to actually BE a bachelorette, ya know?

No comments: