12.15.2006

'Tis the Season

The unseasonably warm weather, the lack of apartment decoration, the unsuccessful shopping trips, and the work deadlines have all been contributors to my rather lackadaisical Christmas enthusiasm recently. But last night, all was forgotten as the Christmas glamour washed over me at the Annual TMP Christmas Party! This was actually my first ever holiday office party (having never been indoctrinated to office culture before) and I didn't know quite what to expect. You always hear about how boring and cheesy office parties are, and how you just have to grin and bear it and get it over with as quickly and painlessly as possible - so my expectations were not high.

The venue was a snotty country club out in Franklin replete with stonework, steep pitches, and exposed beams. Inside we were greeted by a roaring fireplace, Christmas music, efficient waiters passing around trays of tasty tidbits, and an open bar(!) The Cosmopolitans and conversations were great. The dinner was elegant and delicious. The games were fun and funny (I won the baby picture guessing game - woo hoo!). And the tipsy co-workers were highly entertaining!

An aside: Down here, the drink of choice is Jack...and let me tell you...the guys I work with can seriously put down some Jack! Within the first 45 minutes of the party, the bartender informed us that she had already gone through 3 bottles of the potent stuff - keep in mind that including spouses and s.o.'s, there were only about 50 of us. Yeah, there were some very happy architects last night! (And a very amusing incident with a bush!)

I can only assume that part of the reason for the huge Christmas party success was due to the fact that I am fortunate enough to work in a very close-knit firm where everybody gets along, co-workers feel more like brothers and sisters, and everyone has a fun sense of humor (insert warm fuzzy feeling here).

My Christmas spirit is now revived!

No comments: