11.13.2006

Weekend Montage

Blue skies and sunshine. Tiny plastic American flags grasped tightly. My goodness, these soldiers returning home are so young. Trombones and combat boots. Red, white and blue streamers tied to strollers and guns. It's 80 degrees out here and I have goosebumps.

Sticky floor and squeaky seats. The anonymous darkness. There's nothing quite like the seat-squirming excitement of an opening movie sequence. Sweet fizzy frozen coke. Brainfreeze! Entertain me with a story, please.

Autumn evening. Warm light glowing from windows filled with laughter. Bottles of frosty beer. A stream of dark wine falling into my glass. The Yellowtail Cabernet Sauvignon. Thank you. Conversation, football, air hockey. More laughter. A southern spread - fried chicken, biscuits & gravy, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, green beans with bacon. Why is every vegetable in the South cooked with some kind of meat substance? More laughter.

Colorful leaves crunching underfoot. Crisp air that begs to be breathed in deeply and appreciatively. I love the feeling of the cold air on my cheeks. Climbing higher through the trees, avoiding the roots and rocks. Strong legs and pounding heart. The solitude is most welcome.

Hot tea and buttered toast. Deep cushions and soft blankets. Gwennie, move please, my leg is falling asleep! Sinking again into the pages of the ancient world of Vlad Tepes. Transported by the black type before my eyes. A good book and a comfy couch!

No comments: