Status Report

Okay, so last Thursday after giving my girl her IV everyday and her medications everyday for three days, I took her back to the vet for another blood test.

And thankfully...miraculously...stupendously...her levels were all in the normal range with the exception of one, and that one was only slightly elevated. Hallelujah!

The doctor told us not to give her an IV all weekend and to bring her back on Monday for another blood test after 4 days of no intravenous fluid. This prescription made both me and Gwennie extremely happy.

She was acting normal all weekend, but by Sunday evening it seemed as though she was slowing down, not being her usual bitchy self and I thought "oh great, her levels are definitely going to be up tomorrow and we're going to have to start with the IVs again"

Monday at 5pm, Daniel and Gwennie and I were sitting in the small exam room anxiously waiting to hear the blood test results.

And guess what? All was well. Can I get another hallelujah!? All of her levels were still in the low normal ranges except that one which the doctor was not concerned about. So, now we get to go 9 days without an IV and take her back next Wednesday for another blood test.

After that, if her levels are still normal, we'll go three weeks and then check again.

It's a hard thing (and an expensive thing) having a beloved pet go through some serious health complications. I know it pales in comparison to the health tragedies human beings are faced with everyday, but when I took her into my home 8 years ago and promised to care for her to the best of my ability for as long as I am able, that included looking after her health. I'm just thankful I have the means and ability to make sure she is getting the treatment she needs to remain healthy, active, and happy.

Fingers crossed that her future blood tests continue to give us positive feedback!

1 comment:

mom said...